Saturday, April 14, 2012

White Walnuts, the Holy Grail



Well, actually skinless walnuts.
I really like nuts. Almonds, cashews, pistachios, macadamias, Brazil nuts, and even peanuts. I also really like walnuts, which have turned out to be one of the latest miracle foods for health. But I don't like what most other people don't like about them - the bitterness of the skins.
I also tend to like my nuts roasted. So I was quite excited about the article on new uses for microwaving that I saw in the latest Readers Digest.

All you have to do is lay out a single layer of nuts on a plate and nuke them for 3 minutes.

I pulled out a handful of walnuts from my jar, spread them out, and did just that. I sort of rearranged them after each minute, but it really didn't turn out to be necessary. My only disclaimer is that we have a rather low wattage oven, so if you have a more powerful one, you might try it for 2 minutes instead.

When I took them out and handled them, an unexpected benefit appeared. The brown skins just flaked off! Wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment