Thursday, January 13, 2011

Not your childhood oatmeal

Melinda here from “Boots and Saddles” for a decidedly “non-horsey” topic.

Oatmeal.

Specifically, the best bowl of oatmeal I’ve ever had in my life.

Which is sayin’ something – I’ve eaten a LOT of oatmeal.

It started with a birthday present from my mom – a cookbook that looked a bit “new-agey” to me (my standard cook book is the plaid Better Homes & Gardens…..) but approached the idea of putting together meals in a way that was downright inspiring.

I was intrigued by the banana and peanut butter oatmeal. Mmmm…..Dried fruits yes, and even fresh of the “right variety”, but as much as I loved peanut butter and bananas together, I had never imagined actually putting the two in my beloved hot cereal dish.

Of course the authors of the cook book had saved the most startling variations for the side bar. Like, let’s say – oatmeal with scallions, soysauce, and a fried egg.

Really????? You have to be kidding me!

But nope – the authors even say “trust us on this one”.

So I cooked up a big bowl of Scottish style oats, and then with some trepidation, added some chopped green onion.

As I licked my fingers (you can do that when you are single and cooking for yourself you know!) I got the taste of the green onions and oats together and it was surprisingly addicting.

In fact, it was good enough that I DID begin to trust the authors, and when it came time for the soy sauce, I didn’t skimp. The soysauce went on top of the oat and onion mixture, after it was in the bowl.

Finally I plopped the egg that had been frying on an adjacent burner on top of the concoction.

Finally *I* plopped down in a chair and dug a spoon in.

What can I say? Except absolutely incredible! And far more so for being unexpected. I’m not sure I’ll ever eat oatmeal with fruit again! I feel like the person who had pumpkin as a squash for dinner everynight, and then discovered there was pumpkin pie – a totally radical shift in thinking.

Have you tried savory oatmeal? I hear it’s all the rage….but being a nonconformist (or so I’ve been told) I’m not exactly “hip” on the trends. Anyone have some favorite combinations?

1 comment:

  1. Hey, you're not single, you just live alone! I have not tried savory oatmeal, but I don't really miss eating it. I bet it's pretty good though...

    ReplyDelete